History of the Library

The Louis Bennett Public Library was established in 1923. The library is housed in the Bennett 17 room mansion. The mansion was built by Jonathan McCally Bennett in 1875. The Bennett family lived in the house until 1922 when Mrs. Sallie Maxwell Bennett donated the house to the Lewis County Commission to be used as a public library.

Organization and Funding

The Louis Bennett Public Library is administered by a five member Library Board appointed by the Lewis County Commission. The library receives financing from the West Virginia Library Commission, the Lewis County Board of Education Levy, the Lewis County Commission and local donations.

 

 

Services | Help | Hours/Directions | Policies | Mission | Links
History
| Online Catalog | Virtual Tour | Events | Home

Copyright 2007 Louis Bennett Public Library. All Rights Reserved.